Syrian Organisations Across the UK Mobilise on Elections by Releasing Eight Demands for a New Government to Support
Syrian organisations across the UK have come together to release the Syrian Election Manifesto that compiles a list of eight key demands they want prospective parliamentary candidates to support on Syria.
Dr Haytham Alhamwi, from Rethink Rebuild Society who are one of the signatories on the manifesto, said, "We will be asking constituents to send this manifesto to the prospective candidates in their respective constituencies to ask them to support the recommendations in the manifesto. The Syrian conflict has been ongoing for over six years now and we want a new government that will raise their game when it comes to Syria, unlike the broken promises of the previous one. The indiscriminate bombing and war crimes can no longer be ignored."
The eight demands in the manifesto are as follows:
1. Affirm the democratic right of Syrians to choose their own future free from dictatorship and terror.
2. Call for the UK to track and publish details of military aircraft flights by the Assad regime and Russia that may be responsible for unlawful attacks on civilians.
3. Call for drone aid airdrops to besieged civilians to provide immediate relief and add pressure for full ground access.
4. Call for the UK to help enforce an end to attacks against civilian targets by the Assad regime and its allies.
5. Call for widened sanctions against the Assad regime and its supporters for war crimes and crimes against humanity.
6. Call for the UK to pursue all avenues to bring perpetrators of war crimes and crimes against humanity to justice, including through universal jurisdiction as well as international legal mechanisms.
7. Call for the UK to pursue a ‘Uniting for Peace’ vote in the UN General assembly recommending action to protect civilians.
8. Demand the highest standards of accountability of all our Coalition partners for air strikes taking place in Syria.
For further information and press enquiries, please contact Sarah at email@example.com.
Rethink Rebuild Society has established itself as a non-profit organisation that acts as a voice for the British Syrian community, and endeavours to clarify the Syrian cause to its audience in the UK and the wider public.